[vlc-devel] contribs issues in Linux 64 bits architecture /2

Gilles Sabourin gilles.sabourin at free.fr
Tue May 27 19:46:18 CEST 2014

Anyway, I guess that it will be tricky, like gnu scripts for autoconf, very
long even with a fast computer, and I am wondering if it is worth doing the
job, and whether we have not reached the actual build system limits.

JB, do you have any hints, here?

Best regards,
Gilles

Le mardi 27 mai 2014 17:28:41, vous avez écrit :
> Hi Gilles,
>
> I already have private patches to do something similar on Solaris. On that
> platform, it is further complicated by the fact that library directories
> are not well suited to indicating "bit-ness" -- so there's lib/ for generic
> 32-bit (i386), lib/pentiumpro and lib/pentiumpro+mmx for MMX & SSE-capable
> 32-bit machines, and lib/amd64 for IA-64 machines.

> I probably didn't cover all of the contribs though, since I have to use
> --disable-disc in order to build successfully on Solaris.

> -- Sean McG.

 LIBDIR variable according to the architecture, lib or lib64. For
> examples, like that, in contrib/src/main.mak:
>
> ifeq ($(ARCH)-$(HAVE_LINUX),x86_64-1)
> LIBDIR := lib64
> else
> LIBDIR := lib
> endif
>
> I have not enough knowledge to decide whether this case occurs in other *nix

 architecture. So, I think the above test could be amended later, and is
> not harmful for other platform.
>
>  And next, you have to identify and checks for all "lib" in path:
> PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR := /usr/$(HOST)/$(LIBDIR)/pkgconfig instead of:
> PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR := /usr/$(HOST)/lib/pkgconfig
>
> And :
>
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH := $(PKG_CONFIG_PATH):$(PREFIX)/$(LIBDIR)/pkgconfig
>
> Next, you'll have to check for every library, contrib/src/*/rules.mak and
> checks for every target installation path. Well, many use cmake as compiler,

 and I don't know cmake, and I don't know if they can be compiled as real
> 64 bits libraries.
>
> For contribs, the target should be to get all binaries in the same place,
> except when they are real 32 bits compatibility libraries.
>
> Regards,
> Gilles
>
> Le mardi 27 mai 2014 16:51:11, vous avez écrit :
>
> > I would be willing to take on that task if no one else wants to.
> >
> > I only have a single 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04 box right now that acts as a
> > services computer, so I'd prefer not to pollute it with development
> > packages. What is the quickest way to set up a separate environment on
> > that
 machine, LXC? VirtualBox?