[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] extras: libtool depends on automake, which in turn depends on autoconf

Felix Paul Kühne fkuehne at videolan.org
Sat Oct 25 19:54:23 CEST 2014

Hello,

> On 22 Oct 2014, at 23:45, Rafaël Carré <funman at videolan.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 06:56:21PM +0200, Felix Paul Kühne wrote:
>> vlc | branch: master | Felix Paul Kühne <fkuehne at videolan.org> | Wed Oct 22 18:48:50 2014 +0200| [79df8a65f1a4a2a3444cdeecc3055681e6dd5a46] | committer: Felix Paul Kühne
>>
>> extras: libtool depends on automake, which in turn depends on autoconf
>>
>> This solves long-standing conflicts with homebrew as well as the latest Xcode releases. Additionally, in most cases, all 3 items were built anyway.
>
> Please explain the dependency and the original problem/conflict.
>
> I can't see libtool depend on automake, https://packages.debian.org/sid/libtool
> suggests as well that this isn't the case.

The issue is a bit reverse. If we decide to build libtool ourselves in extras/tools because we don’t like the version number provided by the OS, but continue to use the autoconf and automake installations provided by Xcode 6.1 and up (mid october command-line tools package) instead of rebuilding those ourselves, compilation of a lot of libraries in /contrib will fail. You can see this exemplified by build 122 of http://buildbot.videolan.org/builders/vlckit-bin-iOS

The easiest way to solve this issue is rebuilding auto* like we did for the last few years anyway when the version numbers between the Xcode installation and our requirements did not match. Another benefit of always building auto* in extras/tools is that this prevents conflicts with custom installations in homebrew directories because of the order we add folders to the PATH variable.

Best regards,

Felix