[vlc-devel] Over buffering with h.264

David R. Robison david.robison at openroadsconsulting.com
Thu Apr 2 14:15:44 CEST 2015

Yes, of course, but what I meant to ask was where is VLC does the
decoder thread get created and sent to the OS for execution...

The problem we see seems to be associated with re-buffering when there
is excessive clock jitter. When this happens (if I understand it
correctly), EsOutChangePosition is called which tells the decoder thread
to wait, rests the clock data, and sets the input back into buffering
mode. Buffering continues until EsOutDecodersStopBuffering is called.
The current buffering state is checked each time the input calls the
ES_OUT_SET_PCR routine. What I cannot understand is how, 200ms latter,
when ES_OUT_SET_PCR is called, that we now have over 6s of video in the
buffer. I assume, when it is reporting the amount of system time that
has transpired, it is refering back to the reset clock data from the
EsOutChangePosition call, but how can it suddenly find 6000ms of data
having only reset the clocks 200ms ago.

Oddly, we only seem to see this happen with h.264 video.

David

David R Robison

*Principal Systems Engineer*

+1 757 546 3401 (o)

+1 757 286 0022 (m)

david.robison at openroadsconsulting.com
<mailto:david.robison at openroadsconsulting.com>

www.openroadsconsulting.com

Open Roads Consulting

A Q-Free Company

103 Watson Rd. Chesapeake VA 23320

On 4/2/2015 2:37 AM, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le 2015-04-01 23:28, David R. Robison a écrit :
>> Hmm... Buffering is controlled in the es_out.c module. Where is the
>> video decoder thread schedule for execution? David
>
> In the OS kernel code.

This email communication (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged material intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this email immediately.