[vlc-devel] Regression in httplive/ts playback

Zoran Turalija zoran.turalija at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:01:12 CEST 2015

Regression in httplive/ts playback

Open in VLC following HLS link (ctrl-n):

  http://walterebert.com/playground/video/hls/sintel-trailer.m3u8

After playback starts, and video is shown, perform stop action eg. press
"stop" button or press "s" on keyboard.

VLC stops playback (latest video frame is frozen) and throws an error:

--
Error:
  Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

After pressing "OK" button, windows throws an error:

--
VLC Media player
VLC media player has stopped working

-> Check online for a solution and close the program
-> Close the program

View problem details:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	vlc.exe
  Application Version:	2.2.1.0
  Application Timestamp:	00c1a030
  Fault Module Name:	libvlccore.dll
  Fault Module Version:	2.2.1.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:	00763030
  Exception Code:	40000015
  Exception Offset:	0012f0b8
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	9242
  Additional Information 1:	4bd8
  Additional Information 2:	4bd883db7d4cd56bc811b28327234e35
  Additional Information 3:	88de
  Additional Information 4:	88defc042a4ecc8fd6c8459999c7a6e5

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
--

and VLC chashes.

Tested with:

win7/x64 vlc x86 v2.2.0
#######################
nightlies 2015.02.24 (46c7b02)....error* https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-2.2.git;a=commit;h=46c7b029f0c415b921efc8c93e10105227b03dde
nightlies 2015.02.27 (e52299c)....error  https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-2.2.git;a=commit;h=e52299c27e1fe7266e2a16881b0eb277eccd1ed7
release   2015.02.27 (d4bb3e3)....ok     https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-2.2.git;a=commit;h=d4bb3e3f08805e62be9d5a505a642b1b14bba343
nightlies 2015.02.28 (3e51cde)....error  https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-2.2.git;a=commit;h=3e51cde9c6b8a1857e2136791088f48aebd13e3e
nightlies 2015.04.14 (a425c42)....error* https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc/vlc-2.2.git;a=commit;h=a425c429f5bfffa2c6a1a4f8b741928332408582

* first and last available nightlies binaries used

--

win7/x64 vlc x86 v3.0.0
#######################

* first and last available nightlies binaries used
** no release available for v3.0.0 branch

--

win7/x64 vlc x64 v2.2.0
#######################

** no nightlies binaries available

--

win7/x64 vlc x64 v3.0.0
#######################
nightlies 2015.02.27 (96e66d5)....error  https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=commit;h=96e66d59da3c175631956ba9daaa8b5f0a1b6a86
nightlies 2015.02.28 (b3746a0)....error  https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=commit;h=b3746a0973de7b8bea4b881390397aa17cc1f510
nightlies 2015.04.14 (0cfe38b)....error* https://git.videolan.org/?p=vlc.git;a=commit;h=0cfe38b0114382ae545e36adb3730a815f4b45a2

* first and last available nightlies binaries used
** no release available for v3.0.0 branch

--

Using vlc players with debug symbols and gdb-32.exe / gdb-64.exe does
not help as no bt is possible, probably because VLC is terminating by

VLC on linux (latest git) exibits no such error as expected (no MSVC++
on linux), so this is most probably windows x86/x64 only issue.

Looking at git revisions, it looks like this error is NOT present only
on release builds, regardless of commits. But, it is possible that
regression was introduced earlier, and is hidden somehow when creating
release builds. This I can't check, as I have no vlc win build env., and
nightlies prior to already tested (20150224) are not available.

Upon further testing, it turns out all builds are working if
--ignore-config option is used.

Some more testing, and culprit has been found. If in Input/Codes ->
Demuxers -> MPEG-TS value for 'CSA Key' is set, error is thrown. It does
not matter if value for 'Second CSA Key' is set or ommited. Maybe it
also can throw an error, but not in this use case. However, it is
suspicious that error is not thrown when 'CSA Key' is ommited, and
'Second CSA Key' is set. Like something else is also wrong. Or I am just
too much paranoid.

Retested on linux, and even with 'CSA Key' set, vlc works fine.

No errors in vlc logs.

PS. Sorry for chronological order of report.

--
Kind regards,
Zoran Turalija