[vlc-devel] Timecode support in VLC Player

Jean-Philippe Encausse Jp at encausse.net
Wed Apr 22 17:00:36 CEST 2015

Roiy Shpaner <roiy <at> cs.umanitoba.ca> writes:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> I’m currently in the process of finishing the implementation for a
feature that contains some aspects of what you are looking for.
http://imgur.com/a/kHfNf
> The feature allows the user to tag events (start and end points in a
video) into layers that can then be played automatically. The user can
also navigate back and forward between events (It is also possible to
annotate these events).
> The timecodes are saved with millisecond accuracy.
> Let me know if you’d like to check out the current build.
>
> Roiy
>
> From: vlc-devel [mailto:vlc-devel-bounces <at> videolan.org] On Behalf
Of Ermakov, AlexanderSent: February-13-14 3:40 AMTo: vlc-devel <at>
videolan.orgSubject: [vlc-devel] Timecode support in VLC Player

> Hi, VLC team!
>
> I would like to get some features re timecodes and SMPTE support in
VLC player (there are many of us:
https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=58011).
> I’m looking for a developer(s) who can devote some time to this task.
> I will provide Design Document and funds. My estimation is about 2000
euro for this amount of work but this is discussable.
> Could you advise what’s the right way to find the developers?
>
> Here’s the requested feature brief description:
> Intro:
> We are a software vendor for television companies. We need a
standalone solution to view (play) and mark segments (pieces) in media
files.
> Basics:
> Each frame in a video can be coded with a timecode (TC) which
basically looks like “hh:mm:ss;ff” (ff stand for frames, note varying
delimiters). Each segment is a pair of timecodes: start (SOM) and end
(EOM). Key point here is the frame-accuracy. Some media containers (ex.
WMF, MXF) support a particular field in each frame with the explicitly
stored TC (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-
us/library/windows/desktop/dd562647%28v=vs.85%29.aspx).
> Request:
> 1.       Add new navigation controls to the panels and menus
> 2.       Add new controls to mark a pair of SOM-EOM and send this info
to another process by RPC/message.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMPTE_timecode)
> ·         30 FPS  (HDTV)
> ·         60 FPS (for future use)
> We have some groundwork on timecodes calculations (C++ classes to
parse/generate correct SMPTE timecode from/to absolute frames number)
and can provide them to the community.