[vlc-devel] Questions about code reviews and static analysis tools for TU Delft research

Tristan Matthews tmatth at videolan.org
Tue Feb 24 19:52:53 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 5:53 AM, Radjino Bholanath <
R.M.R.Bholanath at student.tudelft.nl> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm doing research on code reviews and static analysis tools at the SERG
> group (http://swerl.tudelft.nl/bin/view/Main/WebHome) of the Delft
> University of Technology. Currently, we want to give an overview of the
> usage of code review and static analysis tools in open source projects.
> Therefore, I would be very happy to know a little bit more about how code
> reviews are used in VLC and if (and maybe how) static analysis tools are
> used. I have a couple of questions for anyone willing to answer:
>
> 1. Do all developers (contributors and core developers) have to submit a
> code review for every change? I'm asking because many projects only review
> changes made by contributors.

No, but developers with commit access will often send patches to the
mailing list for discussion as needed (i.e. for clarifications or for major
changes). Developers without commit access will have to send patches to the
mailing list for review and to be merged by someone with access.
Details here: https://wiki.videolan.org/Sending_Patches_VLC/

> 2. Which code review tools are used?

The mailing list and patchwork (see patches.videolan.org).

> 3. Are static analyzers used? If they are used:
>   a. Is passing the checks of the static analyzers necessary for a change
> to be accepted?

No. Coverity scan is only used on code after it's been merged, afaik.

>   b. Which static analyzers are used?

Coverity scan, also I (and probably others) use scan-build from time to
time.

Best,
Tristan