[vlc-devel] bug in reading rtcp information from .sdp files ?

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live555.com
Fri Jul 24 10:34:05 CEST 2015

> 1) I imagine that error (***) results from the fact, that rtcp information is not being read correctly.
>  - Does this assumption make sense?

No.  VLC (specifically, the LIVE555 library that VLC uses when reading a SDP file (or acting as a RTSP client)) receives RTCP packets, and automatically generates properly-synchronized presentation times based on incoming RTCP “SR” packets.  These (properly-synchronized) presentation times are passed to VLC’s “live555.cpp” interface module, and thus to VLC proper.

>  - Do I need to specify the rtcp port in the .sdp file, say "a=rtcp:50507", or is it calculated automagically as the media rtp port + 1 ?

The latter.

Ross Finlayson
Live Networks, Inc.
http://www.live555.com/