[vlc-devel] RTSP: Failure to recover from long PAUSE

Paul Clark paul at packetship.com
Wed Jun 24 13:07:28 CEST 2015

On 24/06/15 10:51, Ross Finlayson wrote:
>> One thing doesn't add up though, which is if you aren't seeing this
>> problem in VLC against Live555 server.  That could be the dog that
>> didn't bark in the night…
>
> I don’t know what that means.  But this (running VLC against the
> “LIVE555 Media Server”) is something that you can test for yourself
> (as I did).

I did just try this and VLC doesn't use PAUSE against your server at
all, it continues the stream and buffers internally.  It looks like it
decides whether the input is able to pause based on whether it knows the
duration (f_npt_length) - could this be because you don't return the
duration in the SDP, so it looks like a live stream?

  a=range:npt=0-

Because the VLC live555 module never enters true PAUSE state the
doEventLoop() still gets called by Demux() and hence you handle the
GET_PARAMETER responses instantly.

Proper fix to both ends soon...

Best regards

Paul