[vlc-devel] Request for translation files (Indian Languages)

Christoph Miebach christoph.miebach at web.de
Tue Mar 17 00:19:58 CET 2015

Hello!

On 16 Mar 2015, at 13:16, chandrakant dhutadmal <cpdhutadmal at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello All.
>
> As per the information available on https://www.videolan.org/developers/i18n/vlc-howto.html, i would like to request for translation files (.po files) for following Indian languages for latest version of VLC Player.
>
> ·        Assamese
> ·        Bodo
> ·        Dogri
> ·        Kashmiri- (Using Perso Arabic Script)
> ·        Kashmiri- (Using Devnagari Script)
> ·        Konkani- (Using Devnagari Script)
> ·        Konkani- (Using Roman Script)
> ·        Maithili
> ·        Manipuri - (Using Meetei Mayek Script)
> ·        Manipuri - (Using Bengali Script)
> ·        Oriya
> ·        Sanskrit
> ·        Santali - (Using Ol-Chiki Script)
> ·        Santali - (Using Devnagari Script)
> ·        Sindhi- (Using Perso Arabic Script)
> ·        Sindhi- (Using Devnagari Script)
> ·        Urdu

I just accepted some of your requests on transifex.

I did not accept (for example) Bengali, because there already exist bn_IN and bn_BD and both are incomplete. The reason behind that is: I want to avoid having the translators doing the same work twice and wasting hours (or even literally days and weeks). If you know what you are doing, tell me and I might approve more of the requests.

Since you mentioned in another email, there were languages missing in transifex. I know that transifex takes it’s locale data (required to add new languages) from
http://cldr.unicode.org/

This might be the way to go, but I don’t know for certain, yet. I need to investigate further (and especially how weblate handles the need for new languages).
So, here my suggestion is:
Remind me on that subject in a week or 2.

You should probably not be bored in the meantime for there a pretty much words to translate for VideoLAN…

Best regards

Christoph