[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vlc_plugin: fix non-LGPL plugins meta infos

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Mar 22 19:23:53 CET 2015

Le dimanche 22 mars 2015, 19:08:21 Jean-Baptiste Kempf a écrit :
> On 21 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> > Le samedi 21 mars 2015, 22:05:12 Jean-Baptiste Kempf a écrit :
> > > Btw, why GPL this module?
> >
> > I grepped the module sources for GPL and checked all matches manually. A
> > bunch of them were LGPL with the GPL dependency warning - I did not touch
> > them.
> I think you should touch them. Except dvdread, I don't think any of
> those will change license in the near future.

It would make sense if we systematically linked them statically. But I had
mixed feelings about the dynamic linking case.

> > The only one that strikes me is Growl. Its license looks invalid: GPLv2+
> > combined with 3-clauses BSD. That effectively means GPLv3+...
>
> Let me look at this mess.
>
> I need to work more on all those, seeing the recent request by numerous
> people.
>
> But actually, my question was different: Why did you license "cycle" as
> GPL and not LGPL?

On the one hand, I don't see the (immediate) point in releasing sout plugins
as they cannot easily be used through LibVLC. On second thought, there are the
ominous LibVLC VLM bindings - but those are terrible.

On the other hand, there were at least two other stream_out/ plugins under GPL
at the time. I do not particularly like to give away, especially sout-related,
code. If I unknowingly broke a rule, then I can remove it.

http://www.remlab.net/