[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vlc_plugin: fix non-LGPL plugins meta infos

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun Mar 22 20:54:32 CET 2015

Le dimanche 22 mars 2015, 20:13:07 Jean-Baptiste Kempf a écrit :
> On 21 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> > The only one that strikes me is Growl. Its license looks invalid: GPLv2+
> > combined with 3-clauses BSD. That effectively means GPLv3+...
>
> Are you sure about that?

No. But IMU, the GPLv3 carries section 7.c expressly for compatibility with 3-
clause BSD (and the likes of it). GPLv2 does not have a comparable tolerance.

To the extent that applicable laws and the GPL itself do not allow such
misrepresentation as BSD explicitly forbids, then there should be no issues.
Should we assume that to be universally true?

> 3-clause BSD "modified BSD" or "revised BSD" seems compatible with GPLv2,
> according to wikipedia and https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html

GNU.org terms "compatible with the GPL" anything license that is GPLv3-
compatible. So that is not terribly helpful.

> and
https://web.archive.org/web/20040615220953/http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

Hmm...

http://www.remlab.net/