[vlc-devel] HTTP/2

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Mar 25 11:11:31 CET 2015

Le 2015-03-25 10:15, Steve Lhomme a écrit :
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf
> <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
>> On 24 Mar, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
>>> HTTP 2 seeks as quickly as any remote file system protocol. But it
>>> was
>>> determined useless when I proposed implementing it at the last
>>> general
>>> assembly. If anything else has a different view, it can mail me.
>>
>> You mean for a bounty?
>
> I think HTTP/2 would be a worthy addition. Implementation without
> depending on other libraries may be tricky though.

VLC already depends on zlib and GnuTLS. I don't see a need for anything
else than those and a couple of weeks time.

Of course, it you want all the bells and whistles, such as TLS support,
transparent stream decompression (both already in the HTTP module), HTTP
version negotiation, optimized headers compression, connection reuse,
push promise, recovery from pause... then there is a lot more work.