[vlc-devel] Seeking opinions

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Wed Sep 9 17:45:39 CEST 2015

    Hello,

Le 2015-09-09 07:41, tony a écrit :
> But,
> if the user did choose the the same
> track for the 2nd as the 1st, then shouldn't we
> display it?

Well, if you put it that way, sure. However I don't see how that could
happen: LibVLC and the GUI both only allow a single track to be selected
or not. There are no provisions for a track to be selected more than
once at a time.

I know only one way to achieve that: combining sout_duplicate with
sout_display. But then it already works without code changes.

> In this case, I assign two decoders
> to the same track, but the two decoders are
> not the same!
> Because they may place the sub at different
> location with different style.
>
> As the Unix philosophy says:
> "mechanism, not policy."
> I think it's very possible that
> one track should be decoded in multiple different
> ways with multiple style.
>
> For example, with this feature implemented,
> a user is able to play the same audio twice
> with a certain delay to acquire
> a “Duet" like effect,
> without writing a new decoder!

It seems to me that this "duplication" feature is orthogonal to the
"multiple simultaneous subtitle" feature. I would suggest first getting
multiple different subtitle tracks to work. You can always add
duplication afterwards.

http://www.remlab.net/