[vlc-devel] DASH streaming algorithm

Jonathan Kua jtkua at swin.edu.au
Thu Sep 10 05:27:47 CEST 2015

Francois Cartegnie <fcvlcdev <at> free.fr> writes:

> Le 07/09/2015 09:38, Jonathan Kua a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm interested in using VLC as a DASH client for research purposes. I
> > just updated to 'revision 2.2.0-git-4636-g3a37abe' and will use this as
>
> Wrong version.

Hi Francois,

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

I git clone the latest commit (hash 3a37abe) of the master branch on
September 4, 2015. The prefix 'revision 2.2.0-git' probably caused a bit of
confusion.

I do observed the on-off traffic pattern, bitrate switching and other DASH-
like behaviours on the physical testbed with this version.

Also, I noticed there are some bug fixes for the demux/adaptive module in
the past few days, so I'll update to the latest commit.

> > a basis for exploring different rate/buffer-based adaptation algorithms.
>
> There's many papers about this.

Yes, thanks, I'm going through them.

> > Would you mind explaining briefly the current adaptation algorithm?
> >
> > I've looked into the adaptive, dash module and managed to extract
> > various statistics, including the estimated bandwidth, selected
> > representation, etc.
> > I'm also interested in the buffer capacity/ fluctuations (the main
> > parameter in buffer-based algorithms) during a DASH streaming
> > experiment. Which part of the source code should I be looking at for
> > this information? What other DASH-related variables/terminology should I
> > be aware of?
>
> I don't see the point trying to understand an implementation before
> prior study/understanding of the protocol.

Yes, I'm in the process of going through the DASH specifications, its
interactions with TCP, and hopefully understand the implementation of DASH
in the VLC player soon.

Thank you for implementing and improving DASH in VLC.

Regards,
Jonathan