[vlc-devel] State of VCDX plugin

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Sep 26 17:20:19 CEST 2015

On 26 Sep, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote :
> Does anybody understand the (functional) differences between the VCD and
> VCDX plugins? It seems VCDX never worked on Windows, was disabled on MacOS

Supposedly VCDX supports some kind of menus. It also supports better the
tracks and so on. It supports multiple-disc, IIRC, and lots of metadata.
There should be also support for still-frames and segments.

> for some years, and is disabled by default on Linux. And frankly it's been a
> PITA to maintain (or rather to keep it compiling, because I'm not sure if it
> still works).

I dislike the libcdio library and the ones related: they are
over-engineered, and not portable. I believe we can do better in the
21st century.
So I won't cry.

With my kindest regards,

--