[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Contribs: lua, remove unneeded patch

Andrey Gursky andrey.gursky at e-mail.ua
Fri Apr 8 02:28:38 CEST 2016

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:31:12 +0200
Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:

> Le 2016-03-29 15:06, Ludovic Fauvet a écrit :

> >> end
> >>
> >> - The ABI depends on the value of sizeof (size_t).
> >> - The byte code is identical on 32-bits and 64-bits architectures.
> >>
> >> So you´re saying that sizeof (size_t) is always the same?
> >
> > Of course not. I just mean that standard 32/64-bit rules will apply
> > and
> > there's no need to artificially restrict the interpreter to 32-bit
> > word
> > size like we did (for a good reason) before.
>
> Nobody said anything about the run-time interpreter. The problem always
> was the precompiled byte code, and it seems to me that it still is.

So until luac-32bits.patch gets back vlc-android build will be broken.
Only Ludovic can bring it back? The documentation Rafaël referred to
and my experiment:
$ amd64/usr/bin/luac5.3 -o foo.luac.amd64 foo.lua
$ i386/usr/bin/lua5.3 foo.luac.amd64
i386/usr/bin/lua5.3: foo.luac.amd64: size_t size mismatch in precompiled chunk

showed that bytecode is still (and will be?) not portable, thus the
patch seems to be unavoidable.

Regards,
Andrey