[vlc-devel] Colorimetry Accuracy

Steve Lhomme robux4 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:25:48 CEST 2016

I've looked at the patches following this week-end work for better
color accuracy. It seems the additions on all the vouts do best effort
with what the API provided but don't update their output
video_format_t to tell what changes they made from the input format.

IMO it should be done. But that means some filter will need to be
inserted to match the codec output with the format the vout is
actually assuming. We don't have such filters yet AFAIK but even when
we do that will impact performance, as a trade off for accurate
colors. Should this be an option to chose between speed and accuracy ?

If we add an option then, when accurate colors are selected, we
shouldn't try to guess UNDEF values. That will give the false sense
that it's going to be accurate. And if the vout also treats it as
unknown/UNDEF there won't be any filter added either.

Opinion ?