[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Tag 2.2.3 : VLC media player 2.2.3 'WeatherWax'

Rafaël Carré funman at videolan.org
Tue Apr 26 19:21:58 CEST 2016

On 26/04/2016 18:19, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>     Hey,
>
> Le 2016-04-26 17:15, Rafaël Carré a écrit :
>> Since the entirety of the board (President, Treasurer and Secretary)
>> are
>> either j-b himself or j-b (VideoLABS) employees, how do you ensure
>> treating me vs j-b in a fair manner and separate the interests of
>> VideoLAN versus VideoLABS ?
>
> The treasurer and the secretary don't even have that much power, so
> Felix' affiliation and his earlier lack thereof does not make that much
> difference. And in all due fairness, J-B made it abundantly clear that
> he was going to start what became VideoLabs, and that it could cause
> bias and conflict of interests. Everybody, including you (and me),
> knowingly and, I daresay conveniently, ignored the problem.
>
> And of course there are very obvious and well-known potential issues
> when a single company has most or all control on an open-source project.
> But it is up to you, me and anybody else not (yet) affiliated with
> VideoLabs, to counter-balance it if they see fit. Obviously that will
> involve spending time on the project.
>
> On the one hand, I try my best to enforce technical soundness
> regardless of any immediate business interests of VideoLabs in code
> reviews - on my free time. On the other hand, I have explicitly refused
> to be a board member because I just do not have the time. And while I
> wish VideoLAN were not so dependent on a single company, I do not have a
> solution. There is only so much I can or want to do.

Those are sensible remarks, thank you.

> So frankly, if you have a problem with the current setup (and there are
> a lot of problems to be had), you should spend more time contributing.
> It is perfectly OK if you do not want or are unable to contribute more
> at this point, but in my opinion, you cannot held J-B and VideoLabs
> employees responsible for that.

I am fine with VideoLABS people contributing (much) more than I do these
days.

What I am not fine with is being accused of wrongdoing in the (little)
contributions I am still giving to the project, and j-b going in the way
of what I am doing, moreover when doing so silently.