[vlc-devel] [DISCUSSION] To use or not to use EMPTY_STR?

Filip Roséen filip at atch.se
Fri Aug 5 14:20:45 CEST 2016

Hi guys and gals,

    #define EMPTY_STR(str) (!str || !*str)

The above macro is defined in `include/vlc_common.h`, and it is used in
several places throughout the codebase; though we have both old and new
code that does not make use of the macro (in places where it could).

  - What is our current position of such helper-macros?

`EMPTY_STR` was introduced by d3217fc7 in 2006-10-23, as such it has a few
years on its back;

  - Is it to be viewed as a still up-to-date helper (that can/should be
    used in places where it is applicable), or is it a legacy tool that
    should be avoided when writing new code?

  - If it shall not be used for future implementations, is it then also a
    valid stand-point to mark it as *deprecated* and remove usage from
    legacy code?

Best Regards,\
Filip Roséen