[vlc-devel] [DISCUSSION] To use or not to use EMPTY_STR?

Filip Roséen filip at atch.se
Fri Aug 5 17:20:39 CEST 2016

Hey Denis,

On 16/08/05 17:11, Denis Charmet wrote:

> On 2016-08-05 15:01, Filip Roséen wrote:
> >I agree on all points raised above, which leads to follow-up questions:
> >
> > 	* would it be appropriate to completely deprecate the macro (and
> >replace usage of such), or;
> > 	* should we fix it in a way that could make the intention more clear, or;
> > 	* let it be and intentionally look the other way when such is used/not used?
>
> Unless you feel like removing it everywhere that's exactly what's going to happen.

Which is why I asked for the most suitable approach to the matter, just as
I asked about the current inconsistency regarding `pf_readdir` and
`STREAM_IS_DIRECTORY` in the following discussion (which has not yet
received any replies):

  - https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2016-July/108687.html

> There are always more urgent matters than code janitorial. It's the
> principle of volunteer code, you only scratch your own nose. :)

I was thinking that such janitorial issues could be added to the somewhat
obsolete list of such tasks under the following wiki-pages:

  - https://wiki.videolan.org/Mini_Projects/
  - https://wiki.videolan.org/GCodeIn_Ideas/

Even if matters such as this are not exactly *"urgent"*, it certainly helps
knowing the community praxis when writing new code.

Having to consider *not using-* vs *using a certain helper* when
implementing stuff is a minor obstacle that I would rather not be there at
all.