[vlc-devel] vlc bug/patch (Linux libvlccore): might hang in vlc_getProxyUrl() / waitpid()

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Dec 15 08:45:50 CET 2016

On December 15, 2016 12:51:24 AM GMT+02:00, Marvin Scholz <epirat07 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 14 Dec 2016, at 21:33, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
>
>> Le tiistaina 13. joulukuuta 2016, 10.53.53 EET Andreas Luik a écrit :
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> bug report for vlc-2.1.6 (also in latest 2.2.4): we use libvlccore
>in
>>> one
>>> thread of our multi-threaded application, and observe the function
>>> vlc_getProxyUrl() to (often) hang forever in this loop:
>>>
>>> while (waitpid(pid, &(int){ 0 }, 0) == -1);
>>>
>>> The reason for this is that another thread might have already
>handled
>>> the
>>> wait(), and the process "pid" does not exist anymore, resulting in
>>> waitpid(pid) returning -1 (with errno==ECHILD) forever.
>>
>> This has already been discussed several years ago and the conclusion
>> was that
>> this cannot be fixed in safe race-free manner in LibVLC. You need to
>> fix
>> whatever brain-damaged code path is stealing PIDs from LibVLC.
>
>Sorry but "brain-damaged" is really inappropriate tone IMHO.

I disagree and I do not share your like of political correctness. Also I think your systematic picking on me of late is totally inappropriate and amounts to harrassment now.

As a consequence, you are now on my discretionary ignore-list.