[vlc-devel] libvlc streaming RV24 from imem to network

Tech Q techq84 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 08:24:57 CET 2016

Dear all,

I'm currently trying to integrate vlc using libvlc into my application. I'm
doing some computer vision applications on images and want to stream the
result over the network.

I've successfully used libvlc to stream mjpeg and h264 from the images I
feed through imem into libvlc right now. The problem is this cost a lot of
CPU cycles for transcoding. The streaming part is just a little part of the
whole application and I need to stream multiple streams at the same time.
That's why I'd like to optimize the process.

1.) Is it possible so somehow stream the raw RV24 data without transcoding
in a standard stream? I read the AVI container is able to handle that but
found no vlc related example on how to configure the processing pipeline.

2.) Are there any codecs that will minimize cpu cycles instead of network
bandwidth?

3.) Is it possible to skip the transcoding step completely if no client is
connected?

Greetings,
  Tech Q.