[vlc-devel] Several "mini include-guards" within `include/vlc_codecs.h`; rationale?

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat Feb 20 11:10:02 CET 2016

On 20 Feb, Filip Roséen wrote :
> Questions
> ---------
>
>   - Are the weird "include-guards" in `include/vlc_codecs.h` documented
>     behavior, or can they safely be removed (or atleast renamed to make
>     the identifiers legal)?

In theory, they are not necessary.

In practice, it can be a bit more complex. Both of the examples you gave
are Windows GDI, DShow, DX, MFT or related MS-video technologies.

The issue is that they are differently defined on various versions of
Windows headers and MingW headers. And sometimes only partially.

And those defines were done, because the headers were defining those
first, and safe-guarding with those exact defines.

I believe now they're probably unnecessary, but it needs to be
extensively tested.

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf