[vlc-devel] Callbacks in modules written in C++ have wrong linkage

Filip Roséen filip at atch.se
Mon Feb 22 22:31:57 CET 2016

The main reason I am doing cleanups such as this is because I am very new to the
codebase, and "cleaning" allows me to get a more in-depth picture of what is
going on.

I never meant to start an argument, just trying to contribute to a better
codebase in some way or another.

I do understand that this issue is not easily solvable, and no, it probably does
not matter for the platforms the code is being compiled for; but I still enjoy
writing (and utilizing) code that is Standard conformant.

Maybe I am b0rked from actually having to compile code for platforms where this
actually matters.

On 16/02/22 22:48, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

> We do not require void pointers to be compatible with function pointers. We
> only require that a function pointer can be reversibly stored in a void
> pointer. In other words, we require that the conversion from function pointer
> to void pointer be an injective function.

I was talking about the same thing, compatible in a "lossless conversion back
and forth" kind of way.