[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Contribs: lua, remove unneeded patch

Ludovic Fauvet etix at videolan.org
Fri Mar 25 11:38:50 CET 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016, at 14:55, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> Le 2016-03-24 15:05, Ludovic Fauvet a écrit :

> >> Seems very much still needed to me.
> >
> > I'm not sure to understand everything this patch was doing but it
> > seems
> > that Lua 5.3 have fixed most (if not all) of the problems related to
> > 32/64 bits we had.
> >
> > As a matter of fact, I compiled a 32 and 64-bit luac binary from the
> > contribs and built the youtube.lua script with them resulting in the
> > exact same bytecode. Therefore I guess we can get rid of the
> > constraint
> > of 32-bit luac for cross-compilation (if lua >= 5.3).
>
> Looks to me that sizeof (size_t) is part of the Lua 5.3 ABI...

Yes it does, but given that it doesn't change the bytecode in the end I
don't see what can possibly go wrong.

To sum up:
- luac will be compiled for the host architecture (32 or 64 bit) but
we'll end up with the same bytecode on both arch.
- the interpreter will be compiled for the target like VLC, so size_t
will match.

Am I wrong?

--
Ludovic Fauvet