[vlc-devel] HEAD failing to build on MacOS X, due to 32-bit lua?

André-John Mas andrejohn.mas at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 22:15:45 CEST 2016

Hi,

Based on a forum question, I decided to see if I was able to build the latest VLC in the git repo,
but I it is failing with the following:

configure: WARNING: No package 'lua5.2' found, trying lua 5.1 instead
checking for LUA... no
configure: WARNING: No package 'lua5.1' found, trying lua >= 5.1 instead
checking for LUA... yes
checking for luac... luac
configure: error: You need 32-bits luac when using lua from contrib.

A quick search suggests that only lua5.3 provides 64-bit support:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.videolan.vlc.devel/105025 <http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.videolan.vlc.devel/105025>

The build was initiated with (based on https://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile/ <https://wiki.videolan.org/OSXCompile/> ):

cd vlc && mkdir build && cd build
../extras/package/macosx/build.sh

What should we be doing to build at this point to allow this build to complete?

Build environment: MacOS X 10.11.4. I can provide more logs if necessary.

Thanks

Andre