[vlc-devel] AppImage for distributing VLC builds for Linux

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Sat May 7 22:13:11 CEST 2016

On 07 May, probono wrote :
> I have been working on putting together a proof-of-concept AppImage of VLC:
> https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/VLC/_latestVersion#files

> https://github.com/probonopd/AppImages/blob/master/recipes/vlc/Recipe

It's a good start, and a good idea.

However, I do not understand a few things:
 - why compile manually ragel, autoconf etc, while we have extras/tools
   for that?
 - CentOS is probably not the best thing to maintain, tbh, seeing that
   most VLC developers are using Debian derivatives. Ubuntu 14.4 LTS or
   12.4 would make more sense.
 - VLC can be built with Qt5.
 - if needed, alsa should be added to the contribs, not compile here.
 - the hacks around wget|curl are a bit WTF.
 - why disable-ncurses?
 - there is already a desktop file. see share/vlc.desktop.in
 - the hacks around LD_LIBRARY_PATH are wtf too..
 - you should build Qt with the contribs

With my kindest regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf