[vlc-devel] AppImage for distributing VLC builds for Linux

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sun May 15 12:11:18 CEST 2016

On Sunday 15 May 2016 11:48:37 probono wrote:
> Is there another way to compile VLC on Ubuntu 12.04 without needing to
> upgrade libc6-dev?

VLC requires a recent build environment, but you want an old run-time. When
VLC is built natively, the recent build environment implies a recent run-time.

You have basically two ways around this:
- cross-compile from recent Linux to old Linux, or
- use a recent tools chain built on top of an old run-time.

I don´t think anybody here has tried either, and I strongly suspect that both
ways would involve setting up a custom tool chain is unavoidable. At least, I
believe that Debian/Ubuntu do not provide such a tool chain.

http://www.remlab.net/