[vlc-devel] [RFC]: Warning: input_item_SetURI: : file path instead of URL

Thomas Guillem thomas at gllm.fr
Thu May 19 09:17:58 CEST 2016

In src/input/item.c:333 there is a warning when there are special
characters like ' ' and '"' in a URI.

What should we do in that case ? I would say that we shouldn't start any
input from that item.
For now, we do nothing and there are some accesses that can't handle bad
URIs. Indeed, vlc_UrlParse() won't set a psz_path since
vlc_uri_path_validate() will fail, so the access won't be able to open
that bad URI.

This case happens when the URI come from the user ("Open Network Stream"
menu, or from command line) and shouldn't happen when the URI comes from
a stream_readdir (add an assert in that case ?).

Best regards,
Thomas.