[vlc-devel] [RFC] DTS-HD and audio_format_t

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Nov 4 18:21:05 CET 2016

Le perjantaina 4. marraskuuta 2016, 17.46.46 EET Thomas Guillem a écrit :
> So my question is: how to differentiate DTS from DTS-HD in
> audio_format_t.
>
>  - Add a DTSHD fourcc: VLC_FOURCC('d','t','s','h'). This is kind of
>  wrong since this should be the same codec but then we don't need to
>  modify audio_format_t.
>
>  - Add a new int i_profile in audio_format_t ? This is the correct way
>  but this will be used only for this codec.

Or is it?

We already have different codec IDs for:
- MPEG 1 Video and MPEG 2 Video,
- MPEG 2 Audio layers II and III,
- H.263, H.263+ and MPEG 4 part 2.

If the codec had multiple profiles from the ground up, like AVC and HEVC, then
all concerned plugins would already handle it. That does not seem to be the
case here. VLC_CODEC_DTS meant DTS, or nowadays DTS core.

In other words, if you cannot feed DTS HD to a plugin that expects DTS [core],
then it is a different codec.

That being said, both solutions look incomplete w.r.t. S/PDIF encapsulation,
so I find it hard to comment/speculate on their respective (de)merit.

http://www.remlab.net/