[vlc-devel] [sout developers] VLC streaming violation of MPEG-TS discontinuity flag

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Oct 25 14:28:26 CEST 2016

Le tiistaina 25. lokakuuta 2016, 14.25.39 EEST Francois Cartegnie a écrit :
> Le 25/10/2016 à 14:15, Rémi Denis-Courmont a écrit :
> >> Unsure why this discussion has stopped,
> >> but any reason those patches have never been committed/never made
> >> intentionally public ?
> >
> > The patches were badly broken, causing a number of regressions.
> >
> > And flushing on discontinuity or corruption seems like a cure worse than
> > the disease.
>
> At least those seems, not sufficient, but correct to me:
>
> + decoders :
>    - reset timeline on BLOCK_FLAG_DISCONTINUITY
>
> + ts-demux:
>    - set BLOCK_FLAG_CORRUPTED on incomplete frame (might also happen on
> seek)
>    - set BLOCK_FLAG_DISCONTINUITY on seeking (time line discontinuity)

Problem is, the meaning of discontinuity is ambiguous.

Discontinuity due to seeking is not the same as discontinuity due to silence
in speech codec or due to packet loss. For instance, packetizers obviously
handle the former and the later very differently.

Nonsponsored VLC developer
http://www.remlab.net/CV.pdf