[vlc-devel] Patches to get .appdata.xml translatable

Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar dimstar at opensuse.org
Wed Sep 7 15:06:23 CEST 2016

On Wed, 2016-09-07 at 14:59 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> On 07 Sep, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote :
> On Wed, 2016-09-07 at 14:52 +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> > On 06 Sep, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote :
> > The goal/result is to be able to get the .appdata.xml file
> > translated
> >

> > Does it put all the language inside the appdata.xml or one per
> > lang?
> >
> > With my kindest regards,
>

> All data is merged back into the .appdata.xml file...
>

> So, one unique? That sound good. :)

Right - the current result looks something likeĀ http://paste.opensuse.o
rg/42932887

Summary and Description still need to be translated (those strings
don't exist yet in the .po files)

For summary I intentionally used the same string as for the .desktop,
but seems those are not merged by msgfmt: in fact the .desktop file
brings all translations directly in git (this is something we can look
at in a next step, using the same msgfmt technique I employed now for
the .appdata and get the strings merged back into the .desktop the same
way)

This all should make it a bit more uniform for translators AND gives us
the advantage of actually appearing translated in Software Centers.

Cheers,
Dominique