[vlc-devel] Lua-SD: The second Jamendo script got split in the new version

chrcnt7 at swift-mail.com chrcnt7 at swift-mail.com
Fri Sep 9 00:21:48 CEST 2016

As I started to redo some stuff to improve things, I thought it was appropriate to do another release. Works well, so far, albeit only with the current nightly (20160908) and probably other recent ones, as in other versions (most notably stable), VLC apparently (^) tries to parse the received content as 'tedcaptions' before handing it off to the playlist conversion script* and a part of the response is consumed in this process. In my opinion, it is clearly a bug, but at least j-b already indicated not to care. Whatever, maybe I’ll find a way …

^I’ve never got anyone to confirm this
*(.\share\lua\playlist)

Anyways, I attached the two components this … facility consists of now, the part that goes into .\share\lua\sd (JdoSp_Sd1.lua) and the one that goes into […]\playlist (JdoSp_Pl1.lua). The sd component will just serve up a hardcoded playlist that could just as well be loaded from a file. The playlist one will then recognize any URLs (MRLs) that start with 'api.jamendo.com/v3.0/tracks/?format=json' after the prefix and the double slashes and convert the JSON documents fetched by them into a list of tracks.
I did not yet determine whether it’d be possible to include the subdirectories the old version had (unstructured lists of 100 tracks each are a bit unwieldy) but I think those will get obsolete due to the rework, anyways.

By splitting this up, it’s not required anymore to wait for the entire collection of tracks to be loaded. The downside to this is that it’ll probably take many smaller waits now, one for every playlist to be loaded and that users can’t really have VLC sort this out in the background while doing something else, as they could with one big wait. VLC will also stop playing whatever it played at the moment when the items are double-clicked to trigger the loading, another grievance that I don’t know how to address yet.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free