[vlc-devel] Mouse hiding

Steve Lhomme robux4 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 11:38:59 CEST 2017

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
> Le maanantaina 7. elokuuta 2017, 14.59.29 EEST Steve Lhomme a écrit :
>> I'm trying to understand how mouse hiding is supposed to work to fix #17819.
>>
>> Right now it's broken on Windows and maybe OS X as well.
>>
>> Is it always the responsibility of the vout_window_t to hide the mouse?
>
> This is the description from Thomas:
>
> | core: vout: add VOUT_WINDOW_HIDE_MOUSE
> |
> | A window can now hide the mouse cursor. If this control is not implemented
> | by a "vout window" module, the control will be sent to the "vout display"
> | module.
>
> I believe that it is meant to be either the window or the display, but not
> both. Indeed, I can´t really imagine how the responsibility could functionally
> be shared.
>
>> I suppose that's why VOUT_DISPLAY_HIDE_MOUSE is deprecated ?
>
> As of last week, I think that both VOUT_DISPLAY_HIDE_MOUSE and
> VOUT_WINDOW_HIDE_MOUSE should be deprecated. The component tracking mouse
> movement is in better position to run the hiding timer than the video output
> core thread.

Well, IMO VOUT_DISPLAY_HIDE_MOUSE is broken by design. To
enable/disable the mouse the core has its own variable/timer and a
flag to do the switch when necessary. But with only a HIDE message,
it's left to interpretation when it should be shown again. And that
will be inconsistent with the state of the core. So either we fix the
design or we remove it.

The problem on Windows is that the vout creates its own window (HWND)
with it's own mouse cursor. I don't see a way to inherit the mouse
from the parent. So it has to manage it by itself. But it never does
since Qt only gets the order to hide/show the mouse. If I return an
error in Qt (we know for Win32 it has no effect) we fall back on the
VOUT_DISPLAY_HIDE_MOUSE mechanism. Except it's not compatible with the
way the core works (ie it decides when to show and hide).