[vlc-devel] libvlc on NuGet

Damien maitredede at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 12:59:58 CEST 2017

Hi Jeremy,

I really like your lib because it works very well on windows, and it "just
works".

I think including vlc in nuget is a bad idea : it will make a really big
package, if you plan to include both x86 and x64.
Also how to choose which version of vlc to use, and about updates. What
about deployment of many applications on same computer, there would be many
duplicated files on disk...

Making devs for other platforms is a really good idea. You can develop
targeting netstandard1.4 I think, netstandard2.0. And you should be anycpu,
not x86 or x64.
Also, you will have to rewrite your code to remove windows specific APIs,
or add a way to properly detect platform and do the stuff accordingly.
For example, I would be happy to use your lib on Linux arm (raspberry pi)
with dotnet core 2.0.

And as bonus points, you may start adding vlc 3 APIs (from vlc git).

Thanks for reading :)

Damien