[vlc-devel] how to build for release and debug

dean warren dean.warren.uk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 11:25:33 CEST 2017

Using 2.2.4 building for Windows and Linux I can't seem to build a release
version (e.g. one without any debug).

I assume its a debug build due to the size for example the vlclib.dll e.g.
940k vs. the download binary VLC (lib) of only a few hundred k. Also the
Makefile is littered with -g -0 etc... I doubled checked this and can debug
the Linux version (have other issues trying to debug the Windows version).

The instructions on the wiki state to use --enable-debug. I am not using
this. But seems to still be debug. THe instructions on the wiki mention
--enable-release but this does seem to be used in the configure script.

Any help on how to build the release version would be very much appreciated?
thanks
deanwarrenuk