[vlc-devel] Gentoo irresponsible packaging

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Tue Aug 29 16:25:41 CEST 2017

	Hello,

It has come to my (and others) attention that Gentoo unilaterally merged a
patch to their VLC port against our advice. I warned very unambiguously that
this patch was broken on Trac. And now it broke VLC on Gentoo exactly as per
the warnings.

And then Gentoo users blame VideoLAN. This is totally irresponsible and
unacceptable behaviour for a packager. This is not how you should cooperate
with your upstream. Compare Debian/Ubuntu.

As a consequence and until further notice:

1/ I reserve the right to proactively advise against Gentoo anytime I see fit,
and encourage any other VLC dev do likewise.

2/ Any bug report on any medium that involves Gentoo may be summarily closed
as invalid or notvlc.

3/ (As the defacto upstream Linux port maintainer) I hereby decalre that
running VLC on Gentoo is officially unsupported.

And I daresay that whoever did this makes a good case against distribution
packaging and in favor of first-party software bundles. Sawing the branch that
you sit on (French proverb).