[vlc-devel] Problem cross compiling VLC win32 due to wrl/client.h requirement

Fadi hello.fadi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 07:45:43 CET 2017

Hello,

I'm following the cross compile tutorial for cross compiling VLC for
Windows via Linux/Mingw-W64.

https://wiki.videolan.org/Win32Compile/

I have the latest source code for VLC 3.0 obtain via git clone (git clone
http://git.videolan.org/git/vlc.git vlc).

I managed to compile all the third party libs and configured the main build
successfully with no errors. I'm running into a snag when I run make. There
are three cpp files that require wrl/client.h which after some research I
found was bundled in Mingw-W64 up till version 4.x but was discontinued in
version 5.x and 6.x (I'm on version 6).

The files that require wrl are:

vlc/contrib/win32/qt/src/3rdparty/angle/src/common/tls.cpp
vlc/modules/access/dshow/access.h
vlc/modules/text_renderer/freetype/fonts/dwrite.cpp

I've tried downloading the latest wrl headers from the mingw-w64 svn but
they are incompatible and causing synthax errors. Anyone has any idea how I
can get passed this? Has wrl/client.h been replaced by another header that
I can substitute into these files?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks guys,

Fadi