[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] strings: use vlc_memstream in vlc_xml_encode()

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Feb 25 12:30:29 CET 2017

Le lauantaina 25. helmikuuta 2017, 11.13.22 EET Filip Roséen a écrit :
> Hi Rémi,
>
> On 2017-02-25 11:33, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > > But the VLC implemementation is not the only one, so that argument is
> > > moot.
> >
> > No and I already explained why.
>
> I do not agree with your explanation, so we can probably agree on
> disagreeing.

The explanation is factual. One does not get to agree or disagree with it.

> > > `vlc_memstream_open` can fail. If you consider it so unlikely
> > > that one should not bother checking the *return-value* I do not see
> > > why you put it there in the first place.
> >
> > This is a red herring.
>
> It is very much relevant to the discussion and cuts straight to what
> you wrote about the unlikelihood of the function to fail (and not
> having to check it).

You are again making the false dichotomy which you yourself deny.

There is an error return because there is a possible error case.
There is no "missing check" (and no VLC_USED qualifier) because the error can
be safely ignored.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
https://www.remlab.net/