[vlc-devel] [RFC] vout: subtitles outside the video area in direct3d9

Salah-Eddin Shaban salah at videolan.org
Mon Feb 27 07:41:28 CET 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 4:40 AM, Jean-Baptiste Kempf <jb at videolan.org> wrote:
> Hello,

Hello JB,

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2017, at 21:39, Salah-Eddin Shaban wrote:
>> I have just tested, and the placement options (video-title-position
>> and sub-margin) work as expected.
>
> That's not the point: the point is that we need an option for the
> position of the spu.

You mean a subtitle-position option which works like
video-title-position (top, bottom, top-left...) ?

The point of this patch is to address the item "Subtitles under the
video" on the Bounties page. Nothing is mentioned there about adding
such an option. But I will take a look at it. If it turns out to be
nontrivial I will leave it till I start working on "Dual subtitles
support". These two may be too related to be done separately.

>> If the flag name should be changed please tell me what you would like it
>> to be.
>
> Something related by positioning under the video, maybe?

These are two different things.

Even if we add a subtitle-position option the core has to know whether
the vout is capable of displaying subpictures outside the video area
or not.

> Also, check that the blackbars can be at the top, or the bottom,
> depending on the configuration.

Yes the --align option works too.