[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] include: work around LLVM brain damage

Jean-Baptiste Kempf jb at videolan.org
Tue Feb 28 06:28:39 CET 2017

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017, at 22:58, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> JB and  your  changes rendered VLC not debuggable on any platform and with no obvious
> fixes other than revert. That´s really not the same level.

First, it was my changes and not Marvin that did break the debugging.

But, I find this comment quite rich.
You break the build and the buildbots a couple of times per week.
I always fix the build (sometimes with Thomas) without complaining when
other people break the build.
I do that because I know that it is difficult to build on 5 platforms, 3
of which are difficult to compile for.
But you never see me screaming at other developers for that.

Hugo and Thresh are spending a lot of time to actually get buildbots
that fails quickly when there is a build issue, so that developer can
actually fix the build issues from other platforms.

Back to that specific change, it was actually tested on 3 platforms, and
make check was actually passing.
I don't even know why gdb refuses the binary, because the $LINK is what
the documentation says,  and the issue was to work-around a toolchain
bug (libtool), and yet I did not tell people to fix their toolchain.
But that's beside the point, the VLC binary was actually working and
would not break any git bisect, a contrario from breaking the build.
So sure, the commit was wrong, and I don't complain that it was removed,
but I clearly did what I think was correct, and tested the change, a
contrario from what other people do.

Finally, give Marvin some slack, because he is:
 - the youngest developer around, (I wish we were that skilled at his
 age)
 - the latest to join the VLC dev,
 - actually fixing the macOS buildsystem, that was not following the
 make/make install/package and that you complained about for years,
 while NONE of us did want to touch that, while we all could,
 - is actually fixing numerous macOS bugs that we have for 3.0, and more
 than our usual macOS contributors, who are busy IRL.

Regards,

--
Jean-Baptiste Kempf -  President
+33 672 704 734