[vlc-devel] parsing Spherical Media RFC metadata from AVC, HEVC bitstreams

Francois Cartegnie fcvlcdev at free.fr
Wed Jan 4 11:38:49 CET 2017

Le 04/01/2017 à 01:55, Chad Fogg a écrit :

> (1) is it the intent for VLC player to also extract the Spherical Media RFC metadata from an SEI ?

I don't see the point of using SEI in with MP4 as SEI is a stored in
codec's access units.
It might also only be stored in DecoderConfigurationRecord.

> Would it be split into two separate metadata blocks with the current
practice 128-bit unregistered user ID { 0xff, 0xcc, 0x82, 0x63, 0xf8,
0x55, 0x4a, 0x93, 0x88, 0x14, 0x58, 0x7a, 0x02, 0x52, 0x1f, 0xdd } to
convey spherical indicator, projection type (equi-rectangular), stereo
frame packing arrangement (may be redundant with the
frame_packing_arrangement SEI) …

If the container expects that info into a registered UUID atom, that
info must be extracted and set there.

SEI parsing/extraction is done at packetizer level.
MP4 is packetized format, so there won't be any packetizer running.

Francois