[vlc-devel] [RFC] Automatic insertion of stream filters

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Sat Jul 8 12:14:57 CEST 2017

	Hello,

Historically, vlc_stream_NewURL() (under a different name) has not
automatically inserted any stream filters. It was merely a convenience wrapper
for access_New().

Nowadays, there are however a number of automatically probed stream filters
(ADF, inflate, decomp), and they appear to be desirable (e.g. Lua, add-ons) or
at least harmless in most cases. Furthermore, there is also another API that
can be used when stream filters are explicitly not wanted: vlc_access_NewMRL()

I have been reluctant to change the semantics (see #17132) for obvious
backward-compatibility and regression concerns. Nevertheless, I do not know
any specific case where the change would be actively harmful.

Does anybody know of one? If not, we should consider probing filters
automatically in vlc_stream_NewURL().

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
https://www.remlab.net/