[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] vlc_fourcc: add a define for "araw" (Raw PCM)

Steve Lhomme robux4 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 08:14:55 CEST 2017

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 5:36 PM, Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi at remlab.net> wrote:
> On mercredi 12 juillet 2017 10:23:52 EEST Steve Lhomme wrote:
>> vlc | branch: master | Steve Lhomme <robux4 at videolabs.io> | Thu Jul  6
>> 16:52:44 2017 +0200| [a129a5419c04f379611ef4e62021ed0f5bfab573] |
>> committer: Jean-Baptiste Kempf
>>
>> vlc_fourcc: add a define for "araw" (Raw PCM)
>
> Stating the painfully obvious, but araw is NOT a single codec in VLC, as can
> be seen in the patch context!!!

Not sure if you mean that like it's a bad thing. But the fact is that
this value is used as a shared/common value in 7 different modules.
Having a central define makes errors less possible and finding usage
easier. It will also display a more refined name in the codec list of
the file in the GUI.

> I think it's not an accident that Laurent did not define an alias here. Liewise
> aflt.

aflt uses a shared value in 3 different modules
twos uses a shared value in 6 different modules
sowt uses a shared value in 2 different modules

And all of these rely on the value being set properly so that
vlc_fourcc_GetCodecAudio() gets the proper actual value when the
number of channels and bit depth are known. So I think it's better to
set them to solid values.