[vlc-devel] problem compiling vlc master branch on ubuntu 16.04.1

Dafna Hirschfeld dafna3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 12:00:18 CEST 2017

Hi, I try to follow this instructions in order to compile vlc :
https://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile/

I did cloned the code and run and when running ./bootstrap I get:

*~/codec/vlc-for-linux/vlc$ ./bootstrap *

*NOTE: GNU gettext appears to be missing or out-of-date.*

*Please install or update GNU gettext.*

*Also check if you have cvs, a dependency of autopoint.*

*Otherwise, you will not be able to build a source tarball.*

*==============================================================*

* ...*

but when I install gettext , I see it is already installed:

*~/codec/vlc-for-linux/vlc$ sudo apt-get install gettext*

*[sudo] password for dafna: *

*Reading package lists... Done*

*Building dependency tree       *

*Reading state information... Done*

*gettext is already the newest version (0.19.7-2ubuntu3).*

*gettext set to manually installed.*

*0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 146 not upgraded.*

then when I run ./configure I get a message that lua is missing:

*configure: error: Could not find lua. Lua is needed for some interfaces
(rc, telnet, http) as well as many other custom scripts. Use --disable-lua
to ignore this error. *

but again when I try to install lua5.2 it again find that it is installed

Dafna