[vlc-devel] [RFC] video filters, hw acceleration and 10bits

Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen hugo at beauzee.fr
Fri May 19 14:13:24 CEST 2017

Hi,

On Fri, May 19, 2017, at 01:58 PM, Denis Charmet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2017-05-19 12:37, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:
> > 2/ The issue: CPU filters
> > [...]
>
> Secondary issue: streaming output transcoding. For now we impose
> software decoding when transcoding due to the lack of hw encoder
> implementation.
>

> > 3) Solutions
> > [...]
>
> I'm all for b (then eventually c but I fear that it's not going to
> happen anytime soon). Having a way to get back pictures from GPU to CPU
> would also allow the use of hw decoding when transcoding.

I'd favor C, but that is indeed not realistic if we want to release
anytime soon, which we do.
In my opinion, having a silent failure when a filter is activated is
completely unacceptable, so I'd go with B.

Regarding user feedback, I think we need a clear way to display that
hardware decoding is enabled or not, but I won't dare offering a
solution, given my skills in term of UX :o)

Regards,

--
  Hugo Beauzée-Luyssen
  hugo at beauzee.fr