[vlc-devel] Complete, Corresponding Source (CCS) for a VLC binary release

lasse.kantola at iki.fi lasse.kantola at iki.fi
Thu Nov 9 05:11:37 CET 2017

Terve :-)

Thanks for the reply, and sorry for an off-topic post. I will contact
the binary build provider directly regarding the CCS.

Br,
Lasse

(No need to read further, but in case anyone is interested, below are
some answers to my earlier questions.)

> Are there any publicly available build logs, which I could use to
> find out the answers by myself?

The https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_Developers_Corner/ has a link to the
Jenkins server, which has build logs for the latest nightly builds.
(Note: the Wiki page has a dead link to an old buildbot server.)

The following comments are based on the vlc-stable-nightly-win32-x86
#509 plain text log. (i.e. vlc-2.2.7-20171107-0312-win32)

> Which contrib dependencies are included in the Windows binary?

Basically, the things downloaded by "make fetch" in "contrib/win32".
The build log has output of the "make list" that shows the packages:

To-be-built packages:
  SDL_image a52 ass bluray caca cddb chromaprint crystalhd d3d11 dca
  dvbpsi dvdcss dvdnav dvdread ebml faad2 ffmpeg flac fontconfig freetype2
  fribidi gcrypt gettext glew gme gmp gnutls goom gpg-error gsm harfbuzz
  iconv jpeg kate lame libmpeg2 libxml2 live555 lua mad matroska modplug
  mpcdec nettle ogg openjpeg opus orc png postproc projectM pthreads
  qt4 regex samplerate schroedinger sdl shout sidplay2 speex speexdsp
  ssh2 taglib theora tiff twolame upnp vncserver vorbis vorbisenc vpx
  x264 x265 zlib zvbi

Most of the dependencies have SHA512SUMS or exact GIT hashes, so there
is no ambiguity.

> Which exact version of mfx_dispatch, x264, libpostproc, and tremor
> were used in the release?

As shown in the "make list" output, the mfx_dispatch and tremor were
not included in the build.

The x264 snapshot version can be found by searching the build log for
"x264-snapshot-20", which tells us that the correct version is
http://ftp.videolan.org/pub/videolan/x264/snapshots/x264-snapshot-20171106-2245-stable.tar.bz2

Searching the log for "libpostproc-HEAD-" shows the Git hash for
libpostproc (libpostproc-HEAD-3b7053f), and the Git snapshot can be
downloaded from http://git.videolan.org/?p=libpostproc.git&h=3b7053f.

Unfortunately, the version information for libpostproc and x264 is
lost when the build logs are removed.

> What were the configure options?

The dependencies are automatically found by setting the
PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR to the contrib directory. Most of the configuration
options are specified in extras/package/win32/configure.sh. In
addition, the following options are used: '--host=i686-w64-mingw32
--enable-debug'. The build commands and configuration can be found
from the build log:

+ mkdir win32
+ cd win32
+ export PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/home/jenkins/workspace/vlc-nightly/vlc-stable-nightly-win32-x86/vlc/contrib/i686-w64-mingw32/lib/pkgconfig
+ ../extras/package/win32/configure.sh --host=i686-w64-mingw32 --enable-debug
+ make -j4
+ make package-win32-debug package-win32

The build process is almost same as documented in
https://wiki.videolan.org/Win32Compile/.

> What was the used build environment: OS, GCC version, etc.?

Based on the build logs, the OS seems to be Debian stable, and GCC
6.4.0 in /opt/gcc-i686-w64-mingw32 is used as the cross-compiler.