[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Tag 4.0-dev : Beginning of the work that will lead to 4.0

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Nov 30 18:54:16 CET 2017

Le torstaina 30. marraskuuta 2017, 17.19.02 EET Thomas Guillem a écrit :
> I also have some others issue. We can still do these changes in the new
> vlc 3.0 branch, no?

Of course, we can. But will we?

I know that everybody has the best of intention, and that some, notably JB,
have spent a lot of time trying. But with all due (self) respect, our track
record with delivering then maintaining stable branches is not exactly
stellar.

The story has unfolded more or less the same way at every single major release
fork point: One or a few people promise to take care of maintainance... but
then there is not enough time.

Thus a lot of fixes are not backported, others are backported without proper
testing and causes regressions, while the actual stable releases are too few
and far between.

That is not to blame anyone. I have just come to believe that hobbyists and
consultants without contract are just not the right people for the job, at
least not on the scale that VLC entails. In other words, I think that it boils
down to lack of funding.

P.S.: I hereby terminate all my activities on VLC 2.2.x and earlier. Moreover,
I make absolutely no commitments whatsoever with regards to VLC 3.0.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
https://www.remlab.net/