[vlc-devel] Hi-DPI support for Linux and Windows

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Fri Sep 29 15:21:10 CEST 2017

Le perjantaina 29. syyskuuta 2017, 15.15.38 EEST pierre a écrit :
> On Friday, September 29, 2017 3:58:54 PM CEST Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:
> > Le perjantaina 29. syyskuuta 2017, 10.25.02 EEST Pierre Lamot a écrit :
> > > This set of patch aims to provide support Hi-DPI in qt interface for
> > > windows and linux.
> > >
> > > The global idea is to switch from raster to vector graphics for icons
> > > and graphics when possible to ensure that the render adapts to every
> > > DPI.
> > >
> > > There is mainly 3 cases:
> > >
> > > * QIcon: are scaled properly with the qsvgicon engine from Qt
> > > * QPixmap: I introduce a function to render Svg to the requested size
> > >
> > >   scaled for current DPI
> > >
> > > * Generated images and widgets: solution may vary.
> > >
> > > Some graphics have been scaled according to font metrics when
> > > associated to a text.
> > >
> > > Patch 09 is necessary to support Qt 5.6, the behavior should be correct
> > > starting from Qt 5.7
> >
> > So require >= 5.7 ?
>
> This is something we probably could discuss. Qt5.7 move the licence from
> LGPLv2 to LGPLv3. But Qt module is only for Linux and Windows application.
> Does it matters?

The Linux builds are already GPLv3 for several years in reality - probably
Windows desktop too.

I already pointed that "problem" out ten years ago, when we agreed to not
switch to GPLv3 ourselves: that a switch to (L)GPLv3 is ever more inevitable
as more and more of our dependencies make the "upgrade".

There is not much to discuss here. We can not stay stuck with a buggy
unmaintained Qt version down the line, nor can we maintain our own fork.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
https://www.remlab.net/