[vlc-devel] [vlc-commits] Tag 3.0.0 : VLC media player 3.0.0 'WeatherWax'

Rémi Denis-Courmont remi at remlab.net
Thu Feb 8 22:34:48 CET 2018

Le torstaina 8. helmikuuta 2018, 23.07.01 EET Konstantin Pavlov a écrit :
> Where did this tag go?

Where does this tag come from? 3.0.0 was pushed three days ago. It is in the
vlc-devel archive, as well as github.com and probably any regularly updated
mirror.

I think I am stating the obvious but a Git tag cannot be overriden after it
has been published - unless you go and delete it everywhere, which is
essentially impossible. Git simply does not handle it. Specifically fetch/pull
will never pick up the new tag.

With that said, if there are imperious reasons to delete a tag, such as
illegal content, I think it is of course acceptable to delete it - keeping in
mind that it won't be removed from other trees. Likewise, if there are some
serious problems with the comments or other meta-data, it is okay to override
the tag, knowing that the fix will not be visible everywhere.

But changing the commit hash for a tag is beyond broken and stupid (at least
with Git). Don't fuck up your tags. Ever. And if you did fuck up, smash your
head and skip a version number.

--
雷米‧德尼-库尔蒙
https://www.remlab.net/